Making Good Impressions All Over the Place
I have this job, wherein I entertain/education 25, 10 and 11 years olds 6.5 hours a day. It's lovely. I really like it. However, as any entertainer/educator will tell you, sometimes the things that should take 45 minutes take 2 minutes. The opposite is also true, but that doesn't give me as much trouble. I swear on everything, I plan what I'm going to do in a school day. I try to incorporate technology, I differentiate to accommodate different learning styles and abilities, but unless you're inside my head you might not know that! When I've run through Plans B,C,D and E, I fall back on my camp counselorship days. We play games like "2 truths and a lie", or "clap when my hands pass one another" (thank you Jamie), and "guess my mom's maiden name". They are not at all good at that last game, but they "enjoy" it. Sometimes you're at a complete loss and you just gotta spice it up, to keep from crying. However, it seems that I always get caught in the awkward middle of hatching a great plan to pass the time...Here are a few examples.
1. "Whoever finds my math answer book gets to keep it." (walked in on by the 4th grade teacher)
2. "Ok, finish up because we're going to practice our French accents" (walked in on by the Principal)
3. Once while playing a game called "Ms. Sandbo, close your eyes and one of us will talk and you guess who it is" (not the actual name, but now I think you understand the rules), I sat like a fool, with my eyes closed, and ALL the kids were like "Uh....Ms. Sandbo", and I said "Only one of you can talk at a time, or I'm gonna open my eyes", just as I finished that sentence, the secretary cleared her throat, and handed me a phone message.
So, clearly good things are happening in the state of Hawaii, and I’m just proud to be a part of it all.
No comments:
Post a Comment