I have to admit, when I first read this I teared up a little bit. It reminded me just how great my life and family is/was. And helped me remember just how much I really do love watch home-videos of myself... ENJOY
I was introduced to The Sandbo Family many many years ago. I could figure out just how many but math is hard and frankly it makes me feel old. Let’s just say I had big hair and Brittany was in diapers.
Violet meets the Sandbo family around the same time this picture is taken
A little background on me, I have one younger sister we were latchkey kids our whole lives. We were raised on Top Ramen, MTV and made up dances to sitcom theme songs. Anne has the only picture taken of me on the day of my high school graduation, because my entire family was glued to the TV watching OJ Simpson in a car chase and arrived late to the school.
The Sandbo house can only be described as organized chaos. Anne had notes stuck to almost every kitchen surface, with careful deciphering one could figure out where each member of the household was located at any given time. There were always scattered projects, tasty snacks, and tons of people buzzing around.
Shocking to me they rarely watched TV but when it was on, usually old (and newly made) home movies were playing. Once during a huge snow storm and powerless, without a way to watch the movies we sat around reminiscing about things that happened in them.
Some of my fondest memories took place in the VW Vanagon. We would all pile in (this was before everyone less than 160 lbs was required to be in a car seat) and Anne would drive us on adventures, usually to the Bridle Trails Market, or Bartells. The strangest thing (to me) was they rarely turned on the radio, instead everyone would sing the songs of whatever the upcoming school concerts were. When the radio was on we would listen to Raffi and Tickle Toon Typhoon, and I could not have loved it more.
A fore mentioned fun times in the Vanagon
Nowhere I have ever lived has felt like home to me more than that house did. I would often drive my own mother crazy by saying “Anne Sandbo does this or that” she would snap back “Well maybe you should ask Anne Sandbo to be your mom!” if only it were that easy.
Here are a few things I learned in my years of knowing the Sandbos.
- How to make prank calls
- All you need to start a band is a bucket, and some clarinet reeds
- How to spy on your neighbors without getting caught
- A recorded dance routine is the best gift you can receive
- Andrew can not behave himself long enough to earn cable
And most important;
It is possible for eight people to share one phone line and two bathrooms.
Loves,
Violet
*like*
ReplyDelete